Supporting a patient with a life limiting illness.
From helping people to make informed choices about their care to supporting best practice in care quality, our team of experts can help you support a patient with a life limiting illness.
Contact our Clinical Team on email@example.com or 01293 447333 with any questions. Alternatively, download some of the useful standards and clinical guidelines below.
Planning future care
Encouraging a person to record how they want to be cared for in the final months of their life will help them to feel more in control and get the care they want. Download our template ‘Advance Care Plan’ here or see the NHS choices website for more information.
Anticipatory prescribing for community palliative care
This guidance is intended to support GPs and non specialists in prescribing injectable medication for symptom control in the last days of life as part of an individualised care plan. It includes an opioid conversion table and a sample community prescription chart for PRN medication as an example of best prescribing practice. This will assist with the completion of local prescription charts on a person by person basis.
Gold Standards Framework
The Gold Standards Framework offers training and guidance to help you provide outstanding care to patients facing the end of their life. And if you’re planning to set up a Gold Standard Framework at your practice in Surrey or Sussex, our St Catherine’s nursing and medical teams can help.
End of Life Care Strategy
Published in 2008, the End of Life Care Strategy provides a framework for health and social care services and sets out recommendations based on feedback from clinicians and palliative care experts.
Other useful guidelines and key documents
Symptom control and prescribing guidance
- Palliative care Adult Network Guidelines
- NEEMMC guidelines for tablet crushing and administration via enteral feeding tubes
- MOC guidelines for tablet crushing in patients with swallowing difficulties
- New oral and subcutaneous dexamethasone conversion guidance – information for healthcare professionals
National guidelines and key documents on end of life care
- Leadership Alliance for the Care of Dying People One Chance to Get it Right (2014)
- NICE (National Institute for Health and Care: Excellence in End of life care for adults 2011)
- NICE (National Institute for Health and Care Excellence: Care of Dying Adults in the Last Days of Life NG31 2015)
- National Palliative and End of Life Care Partnership Ambitions for Palliative and End of Life Care: A national framework for local action 2015-2020 (2015)